2 years ago
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer - Data + AWS to support our Product Intelligence & Machine Learning teams in Berlin!
You will join a unit of data scientists, machine learning specialists, product analysts and software engineers. Organised in two rapidly growing teams, they work with Babbel's product and engineering organisation to understand user behaviour, to support and automate AB testing and to build new product features driven by data and machine learning – think personalisation, prediction, recommendation, optimisation, etc.
As senior backend engineer you enable both teams by designing and building data pipelines and data models, building scalable backends based on the latest AWS services, deploying and operating data products and exploring new technologies. Your work deepens our understanding of our learners, and your architecture and your code accelerate our journey into machine learning, impacting millions of language learners across the globe. You are eager to share your experience with younger engineers, and you help take the teams to the next level in devops and engineering best practices.
- Computer science or related engineering degree and 5+ years professional experience as backend or data engineer.
- Very strong skills and industry experience in modern Python (data classes, generators, type annotations, pandas, etc.) and SQL.
- Significant experience with AWS services, operations and architecture, especially with respect to data heavy applications.
- Strong data modeling skills, and an eye for what the data means in a business and product context.
- Strong devops experience and commitment to engineering best practices, with an eye for pragmatism and the specific requirements of data and machine learning teams.
Nice to have
- Experience with Snowflake.
- Interest in machine learning, and experience building ML-driven or algorithmic data products.
- Some exposure to product analytics data pipelines and basic understanding of AB testing.
- Some frontend experience (we might build some in-house tools).
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally
- A challenging environment and a lot of responsibility to prove your skills
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- A vibrant international company with people from over 60 different nationalities
- Great company benefits (30 vacation days, unlimited access to Babbel account, high-end company bike, fresh fruit and drinks, English/German classes, In-house Training Academy)
Sounds good? We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Babbel (Lesson Nine GmbH)